How do I run a JAR file in Windows 10?
- Add Java to Windows
- Download the JAR file opener
- Using the Java(TM) SE binary platform file
- Run the JAR file from the Windows command line.
- Adding a third party JAR on Windows
1. Add Java to Windows
The most important thing is to have Java pre-installed. Without that, Java application will not work on Windows. Here is how to install or update Java in Windows 10:
- First open the command line (Admin) by pressing Win + R and type cmd in the box.
- Then at the command prompt, type the java version and press Enter. It then provides more detailed information about your version of Java, as described below.
- The current version of Java is version 8, update 131. If you do not have Java or the latest version, you can add it for free.
- Run the Java Setup Wizard. Then open your browser to make sure the program works.
For more information about adding the latest version of Java to Windows 10, see this updated article. Also know about best cpu for gaming and streaming.
2. Download JAR File Opener
You can open JAR files and hundreds of different formats with a single application. File Viewer Plus is a versatile file viewer for Windows that can open and view over 300 different file types.
The new updated version has many features that will save you a lot of time when opening, viewing or editing files.
File Viewer Plus supports the most common types of text, audio or video files, as well as archived files, source code or web files.
file viewer plus
With this easy to use program you can open almost any type of file.
3. Using the Java(TM)SE binary platform
- Open the file explorer and the folder containing the file you want to run.
- Right-click on the JAR file and select Open from the context menu.
- Click Select another application and then select to open it with the Java(TM) OS Binary platform.
- Select the Always use this application check box to open JAR files.
- Press the OK button to close the menu.
- You can now run the selected JAR and all other JAR files will also be linked to Java.
4. Run a JAR file from the command promptWindows Command Prompt
- Press Win + X and select Command Prompt (Admin) to open it as administrator.
- Then type the following command (replace the example with the actual path to the file you want to run) and press Enter: java -jar c:pathtojarfile.jar
- You can also open the JAR folder on the command line by typing CD / then the folder. You can then type java -jar file.jar without specifying the mappad.
This will open the JAR executable, if it contains a manifest file, to specify the starting point of the request. (The developers should have already added it to the repository).
If you develop your own Java programs, you need to convert JAR to an executable format.
Problems accessing the command prompt as administrator? Take a good look at this guide.
5. Adding a third party JAR to Windows
There are also Windows executable programs that allow you to run JAR files just like any other program. Jarx is one of them, and you can add it to Windows by clicking Jarx-1.2-installer.exe on this page.
Click jarx.exe to start the program, which does not have a graphical user interface as such (except for the About jarx window). You can then double-click on the JAR files to start them in Windows.
how to run a jar file in linux,jarx,no main manifest attribute,javaw jar,jar file not opening windows 10,run jar file from command line with arguments,jar file opener online,run a .jar online,how to open jar files for minecraft,jar file opener chromebook,jar file download for windows 10,open jar file mac,java runtime environment windows 10,jar file disappears,unable to open jar file in windows 8,openjdk not running jar file,jmeter executable jar file not opening,resorep won t launch,double clicking jar does nothing,how to make jar file executable in windows,how to run a file with java,how to run jar file in windows 7,how to run a non executable jar file,jar runner,how to install jar file,run jar file online